Help! Please!Sun, Dec 12th 2010
I've felt like this for 5 years, ever since my 8th grade Summer break and no matter how hard I try I still cannot dig myself out of this. I spent my whole Summer break staying with my family in Colorado. I found them to be really harsh and low class and I disagreed with them the whole time.
My aunt was mean and wouldn't give in on anything and I felt like I was in the middle of a very dysfunctional family and situation. I had not been exposed to anything like this before. Soon after, I just fell apart and could never pull myself together.
Nearly all the time I feel stressed or anxious even when I'm not around particularly stressful situations. I feel like I have very low self worth and I try to promote myself to be bigger than I am. I expect people to give me attention and not to disagree with me. I also feel really sensitive and always need "a break" away from people and any social interactions so I can build myself to feel better.
When I'm around people anything they say gets me stressed out. Almost all the time I feel emotionally and mentally wrong or different from everyone else. I also feel very nervous in social situations and I'm having a very hard time making friends or even just finding happiness and security. Its as though I completely feel I don't belong on this planet and I feel like I'm only comfortable with myself and just being with me.
I fear I have many personality and anxiety disorders...
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.