DeKalb CSB’s East DeKalb location offers a day program and employment program for adults with developmental disabilities. Components of the program include life skills training, work activity, supported employment, community involvement and volunteerism.
These activities provide a combination of facility-based and community-based activities. The goal of community access activities is to assist the individual in exploring opportunities for growth and the realization of true community participation. In addition to community outings, other activities include simple meal preparation, pedestrian safety and training to access public transportation. Additionally, some individuals in the program also participate in volunteer activities through our partnerships with organizations such as Meals on Wheels and MedShare.
Pre-vocational Supports & Supported Employment
Current contracts that individuals in the program work on include:
- Sporting Innovations Group (Yankz!) – Producing athletic shoelace work orders as they are submitted, meeting production and quality standards.
- Federal Reserve of Atlanta – Packaging shredded money bags for the Federal Reserve.
- Printing Productions, Inc. – Most projects are being produced overseas at this time, but our program at East DeKalb completed the original assembly and packaging of the Sonny’s Fast Track Games in March 2013.
Prevocational training also includes resume, preparation, interview preparation and job application assistance. Employment Specialists are assigned to individuals to develop employment opportunities in the community and provide individuals training and supports in tailoring success in that job. The program focuses on community integration, financial independence and employment success for individuals.
In addition the DeKalb CSB’s East DeKalb location also provides the following services:
- Nursing and medical supports
- Transportation services
- Behavioral supports
- Individuals must be 21 years of age or older with an onset of disability prior to 18 years of age
- For the on-site and community integrated work experience, individuals must have some capacity to complete routine tasks in a production work setting. Additionally, they must desire and have the potential to work independently.
How to Access Our Services
To determine eligibility for DeKalb CSB’s developmental disability services, contact the Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities Region 3 Office for intake and evaluation at 770.414.3052 and online at www.dbhdd.georgia.gov. For those in Region 3 who currently have a Medicaid Waiver for NOW or COMP services and would like the DeKalb CSB to be your provider, contact East DeKalb at 770.270.2710 to set up a tour.
Leave a Reply